Since 2019 , 9 Asklepios clinics (in Harburg, Birkenwerder, Lindau, Weißenfels, Langen-Seligenstadt, Schwalmstadt, Wiesbaden, Bad Tölz and the southern Palatinate clinics in Kandel and Germersheim) have been using HappyMed video glasses as a “digital sedative”.
While traditional interventions, such as being under local anesthesia or longer therapeutic interventions, results in no pain for patients, they can cause stress because patients are away of the operation and as a result, feel fearful . This can affect the medical risks and increase the need for medication. To relieve this inner tension , the Asklepios clinics rely on HappyMed video glasses . Patients can choose whether they want to be distracted by a travel documentary, a concert, or by means of relaxation videos. ; there are also special films for children.
Framework agreement with Happymed for patient welfare
The Asklepios clinics have now signed a framework agreement with HappyMed to offer this form of “digital reassurance”.
"For us, the patient's well-being comes first - and that's why we like to use innovative and convincing technologies," says Prof. Dr. Christoph U. Herborn, Medical Director of the Asklepios Clinics (CMO). "We were amazed at the immediate positive effects, as well as at the acceptance in the clinics, by employees and patients", continues Prof. Herborn. Patients breathe more slowly with glasses, their heart beats more calmly, the individual pain sensation decreases and so fewer medicinal sedatives are needed. Overall, the acceptance rate of gentler regional anesthesia instead of general anesthesia is increasing. Doctor and hospital phobias can also be positively influenced in this way. Ultimately, the use of video glasses leads to higher patient satisfaction, as the manufacturer has established.
In October 2021, the Asklepios Gesundleben blog also reported on the HappyMed video glasses: Cinema in the head – audiovisual distraction during surgery . Less stress, less medication, no pain: video-audio glasses allow patients to forget about the upcoming surgery.
Experiences with the HappyMed video glasses
The anesthesia teams had the following experience with the daily use of HappyMed video glasses:
Video glasses helped reduce fear in patients undergoing procedures.
“It has been scientifically proven that stress, pain, and anxiety are felt more strongly when you focus on them - and this in turn affects blood pressure, pulse and respiratory rate. With the new range of video glasses, we are solving this tense situation and helping the patient to experience his intervention without fear. "
Less sedatives and less post-operative care
“We can see that patients using the video glasses have a calmer breathing rate, lower blood pressure, and a slower heartbeat. This means that we can reduce the use of medication to immobilize the patient (sedatives) and thus also reduce the post-operative care effort. "
"Patients who wear glasses have a balanced breathing rate, lower blood pressure, and a slower heartbeat. You are simply more relaxed and that has a positive effect on the course of the operation. Another positive effect: less medication is required and that also reduces the side effects after the operation. The glasses are also used at the request of the patient when they wake up after a general anesthetic in the recovery room from the operating room, because here too the use of video glasses helps the patient to recover. "
HappyMed in action
Knee replacement driving under partial anesthesia at the Asklepios Klinik Langen
- Asklepios, October 2021: CINEMA IN THE HEAD – AUDIOVISUAL DISTRACTION DURING THE OPERATION – Less stress, less medication, no pain: video-audio glasses allow patients to forget the upcoming OP. ( https://gesundleben.asklepios.com/gesund-haben/forschung-und-entwicklung/happymed-brille/ )
- Asklepios, June 11th, 2020: Fear-free and relaxed in the operating theater – cinema in the Harbug Clinic ( https://www.asklepios.com/presse/presse-mitteilungen/hamburg/harburg/Happymed—Angstfrei-im-OP~ref= b23263df-5193-490e-b3ab-c7d2a572d058 ~ )
- Elbe Wochenblatt, June 17th, 2020: “Kino” in the hospital ( https://www.elbe-wochenblatt.de/2020/06/17/kino-im-krankenhaus/ )
- Hamburger Abendblatt, June 10th, 2020: RELAXED IN THE OP – Asklepios purchases video glasses for the operating theater ( https://www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/harburg/article229290354/Asklepios-schphia-Videobrillen-fuer-den-Operationssaal-an. html )
- The Yellow Sheet, 02/26/2020: Take away fear of the operation – Asklepios Stadtklinik Bad Tölz uses new “Happy Med” video glasses ( https://www.dasgelbeblatt.de/lokales/bad-toelz-wolfratshausen/asklepios-stadtklinik-toelz -sets-new-video-glasses-happy-med-13557123.html )
- Asklepios, February 19, 2020: Asklepios Stadtklinik Bad Tölz uses new video glasses in the operating room ( https://www.asklepios.com/presse/presse-mitteilungen/bad-toelz/feb-20-videobrille-op~ref=80db1398-ae58 -4a37-ad44-725fa9a3456c ~ )
- HCM magazine, 10/22/2019: Asklepios Kliniken – digital “sedative” for interventions ( https://www.hcm-magazin.de/digitales-beruhigungsmittel-bei-eingriffen/150/25760/394622 )
- Asklepios, October 16, 2019: Asklepios offers digital “tranquilizers” for interventions ( https://www.asklepios.com/presse/presse-mitteilungen/konzernmachrichtungen/2019010/2019-10-16-asklepios-betzt-digitales-beruhigungsmittel-bei -engaged ~ ref = eb4b30af-4bd6-4365-9b67-31baebfb4962 ~ )
- Asklepios, March 15, 2019: New video glasses for patients at the Asklepios Klinik Birkenwerder ( https://www.asklepios.com/presse/presse-mitteilungen/birkenwerder/videobrille-anaesthesie~ref=eb4b30af-4bd6-4365-9b67-31baebfb4962~ )
- Asklepios, January 22nd, 2019: When the operating room becomes a cinema room – Asklepios Klinik Langen uses video glasses for operations under partial anesthesia ( https://www.asklepios.com/presse/presse-mitteilungen/langen/videobrille_im_OP~ref=f254db73 -e1f7-4bfb-8451-b1b5deb15522 ~ )
Picture, August 13th, 2019: General anesthesia with glasses – CLINIC IN WEISSENFELS STUNNED WITH FILMS AND MUSIC ( https://www.bild.de/regional/sachsen-anhalt/sachsen-anhalt-news/klinik-in-weissenfels-betaeubt-mit -films-and-music-general-anesthesia-with-glasses-63943186.bild.html )
- RTL Hessen, August 5th, 2019: Knee operation with video glasses in Langen
- Asklepios, 25.10.2018: Asklepios Klinik Lindau is using new video glasses
( https://www.asklepios.com/presse/presse-mitteilungen/lindau/videobrille-anaesthesie-ak-lindau~ref=eb4b30af-4bd6-4365-9b67-31baebfb4962~ )